Thursday 16 February 2012

Decisions, decisions, decisions

This week a big decision needed to be made in our family. So to put our family democracy to task once again, raised the matter at hand Monday night during dinner. 

It is a decision that will significantly impact upon us as a family and I wanted each of my four to have their say.....

So round the table we went, each one sharing their thoughts and insights and true to form and personalities it went like this;

Sunshine the youngest actually spoke first, saying she supported the idea as long as it was something Mum felt was the right thing to do! Being a perfectionist, right and wrong, black & white are very important to Amy.


Thoughtful Princess, next, reminding me of family, work & study commitments that I already have, saying, " you're the busiest Mum I know and you want to take on this?"! 


Deep Waters, rather than say much, suggested I watch a Youtube clip that he had seen that day of Australia in crisis and of our need as citizens of this country to take action. Admittedly the clip is produced by conspiracy theorists and it was a great exercise in practising creative critical thinking skills, to watch it and discuss  why some of its content was not actually accurate. But it did really touch me that my second born does wrestle with ideas that impact us as country and seeks the truth of such matters.


Mr EQ had been at work while we had our first round of family discussions so when he came home, we entered for a second round. He too added that if I believed it was the right decision and God was calling me to do it, then I had better do it! Pragmatic & true to charachter of him. 


Somehow our colourful discussion started with Australian local, state & federal politics and swirled around to ouija boards, the occult & demons in Vanuatu, ending with the need to be true to God, oneself and country. Lol! That our lives are not really our own, that we are all created for a purpose and a destiny. 


Late that night, after each of them were well in bed, I too went to bed to find Thoughtful Princess at it again. On my pillow was her daily devotions book with a note, " This if for you, Mum"! And the pages read like a laser beam to my heart! "Enough Excuses", was the title, finishing with the very same words that each of my children had spoken that night, " If God has called you to do something then He will give you the strength to do it, go for it"! 


So the decision is made thanks to the love, support and insight most importantly from my children and also in consultation with others. More on this to come......

No comments:

Post a Comment