Thursday 26 January 2012

Knotted Shoelaces

What inspires us? People? Events? Tragedies & triumphs? Any and all things can. I guess it's often if we are willing to let the little things, the mundane inspire us, not just seek the great and grand. Does it happen per chance or is it Divine intervention? That I don't know, but what I do know is that many things inspire us and this blog is a humble endeavour to capture those moments grand & small, how to cultivate the art of cherishing our children....

Inspiration for this blog/book was an epiphany moment when my eldest was 5yrs old - he's now 16yrs, so it's only taken me 11yrs to realise that the internet can help me be an 'author' of a blog rather than a book. 

So the story starts......running very late for pre-school one day, Mr 5yrs asked me to untie his shoe laces! A very ordinary event, simple request. In frantic motion I wiggled those laces with an obvious annoyed and distressed look on my face because Mr 5yrs says, "you'll be so glad Mummy when I'm all grown up and you don't have to worry about my shoe laces"! 


It was like a slap in the face! All of a sudden I was transported to a day when he would be 17yrs old and it's midnight and he's not home, wondering where the heck he might be, and of longing for those knotted shoelaces! I ditched the annoyed attitude and hugged him tight, the knotted shoelaces didn't matter anymore,nor did I care if we were going to be late for pre-school!

This began the journey of wanting to cherish every moment of my children's lives. I chose to have 4 children, wanted 4 children and am blessed beyond measure to have 4 healthy, happy kids that love life, love learning and love me! Don't get me wrong, we are not a perfect family, far, far from.....


So here it is, a blog dedicated to my 4, and to other parents, single like me, or not, who find themselves struggling at times with the huge responsibility that parenting is and other times delighting in the pithy & quirky, joys & laughs, great & small that parenting brings.






No comments:

Post a Comment