Monday 30 January 2012

A Four Point Lesson!




Most children try to get out of School Sports Day – Not my sports loving, second born Deep Waters, aged 10yrs in this story. He’d been sick for a couple of days so I’d kept him home to get well, but he was determined to be better for Sports Day. Deep Waters never gets sick. He is affectionately known as, ‘Iron Guts’ in our family, cause he never gets sick. But School Sports Day morning, still not quite 100%, he begged me to let him go.

Given his eagerness & determination, somewhat reluctant, I let him go. 

That night as we recalled the events of the day, asked each of the children how Sports Day went. Deep Waters, the introvert in our family of raging extroverts, pipes up enthusiastically, telling us that he had placed in 4 events that day, gaining a point each event for his team, Bribie!

 “Which team won”? I asked. “Bribie, by only 4 points”, says super excited Matt, “so if I didn’t go today, Bribie wouldn’t have won!” 

My little statistician had worked it out! That his participation had mattered, his 4 point contribution was the winning margin. He didn’t come first in any individual race, but by simply participating he added points for his team. 

Made me so grateful for this lesson learnt by a School Sports Day experience, every bit counts! That it’s not all about winning an individual race, but in teams, it’s about our contribution, our part added to the collective that can give the competitive edge.
 
We all learnt something that day from Deep Waters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment